£10? Yew must be joking.

DSC_0898

March 2015. Taxus Baccata (I assume)

Either this was a bargain or else I’m sure some folk may think it was overpriced for what appears to be a sickly shrub.  I was out with my family at a garden centre celebrating some Easter activities but as always I was also on the lookout for anything unusual/cheap that could be used for bonsai purposes.  This 80cm tall tree was the only one of its kind in a corner of a display bed and disguised behind some magnolias.  No information on it at all just a small sticker saying ‘special offer £9.99’.  Now, material like this would usually cost 5-10 times as much depending on where you can find it.  I’ve rarely come across Yews for sale at this size and definitely not this cheap!  The discoloured foliage appears to the only reason for its low price – no apparent signs of fungal/pest problems and when I upturned the pot, there were no roots protruding.  Couldn’t pass it up!

DSC_0900

Relatively healthy foliage on one side that was facing outwards, receiving more light.

DSC_0901

Discoloured and sparser foliage on the other side that was facing the back of the display and perhaps has not received adequate light for a long time?

DSC_0902

Discoloured apex – is exposure to winter frost responsible?

I have a healthy yew growing the garden already and am used to some discoloration over the colder months so I am not too concerned about the lack of health at the moment.  Maybe I’ll know better when I inspect the roots shortly.

DSC_0904

The interior.

It’s difficult to see clearly but there are three main trunks that are pretty straight.  One is considerably thicker than the other two.  Not much foliage in the interior so this is definitely a long term project that will involve a lot of regrowing.  If it turns out to be a minger of a tree, at least it’ll be material that I can practise deadwood and wiring techniques on.  To start with though, tomorrow, I’ll inspect the roots, improve the drainage and thin out dead branches.  If I do no work on the roots, I’ll feed it immediately.  Either way I’ll shelter it from the wind for a while yet and make sure there’s enough sunlight and water to help it recover.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, It would be great to hear from you.

 

Developing a Clump Style Azalea Bonsai

DSC_0851 - Copy

March 2015

A new project for this year – a ‘clump’ style bonsai using an azalea lifted from my flowerbed two years ago. It is actually half of a much larger shrub that had been growing in the bed for a long time but hadn’t really flourished.  It had the appearance of having had a hard life and so I chopped the rootball in half and planted each into a tub with free draining soil to recover for a while.  Fast forward two years to now and I’ve decided it’s time to do something with it.  The other half I returned to the flowerbed last year to fill a space.  A multi-trunk bonsai would be less common than single trunk specimens but to me this is an appealing part of the challenge of creating something out of nothing.  Just root pruning and repotting at this stage.

DSC_0855

Step 1: inspect the root mass – lots of growth. It’s enjoyed the free draining soil mix.

DSC_0856

Two: remove heavy roots and rake out the finer stuff.

DSC_0858

The other side.

DSC_0860

Lots of very fine, soft roots. Easy work so far.

DSC_0857

Three: I tried to identify some kind of nebari and to what extent the trunks were connected.

DSC_0859

The nebari from the other side.

It was a bit of a mess untangling surface roots and I didn’t do too much.  I had to hose out a bit of old soil to help with this.

DSC_0861

Four: After a gentle hosing of the surface roots. I purposefully didn’t bare root the tree. I then removed any suckers from the base that were going to be of no use.

DSC_0862

Five: I secured the tree with wire into a temporary container – a seed tray was perfect.

DSC_0864

Six: Some branch thinning and pruning of congested junctions that had three or more shoots. More air and light available for the interior now.

 

DSC_0867

 

At the end of the afternoon I ended up with something a lot more attractive than I had to start with.  I chose the above as my front mainly based on the trunks.  The thickest and tallest at the front and you can see thinner and weaker ones in the middle and at the back, giving some illusion of perspective.  I also liked the way the two trunks at the ends each have quite a bit of movement outwards.  The trunk with the greater lean (on your left) adds a more dynamic element to the whole composition and provides the direction for the tree.  I tried to bear this in mind when pruning.  The trunk at the other end (your right) will be shortened in future so it doesn’t quite lean so far to the opposite direction.  In fact the majority of the trunks will be reduced in height as they are all a bit leggy. I counted ten trunks which isn’t in keeping with the Japanese aversion to even numbers but I can already see that some of the trunks cross and confuse the eye a bit.  I’m leaving surplus trunk removal until later in the year when the tree has recovered (hopefully!) and I’ve had more time to study it.  It usually produces pink flowers but I’m not expecting much of a show after this work.

DSC_0864

 

 

 

 

 

Cotoneaster Repot

Time for a repot of this mame/shohin sized Cotoneaster .

DSC_0868

March 2015

It definitely needed it!

DSC_0870

DSC_0869

Mostly all fine root so I was happy to remove a substantial amount to fit into the best suited pot that I have at the moment.  A shallower little oval would be nice in future.

DSC_0871

March 2015

I think the angle change definitely helps it.  Still only 11cm tall.