Well, I had hoped to wire the Old Gold Juniper last weekend and certainly made a start but then put my back out and haven’t been able to lift it to finish the fine wiring! I’ll hopefully post a photo when it’s completed later this week.
Instead I’ve turned my attention to a tree that’s considerably easier to pick up: this Chamaecyparis Psifera ‘Boulevard’.
After repotting this year, it’s grown strongly and becoming rootbound again. I noticed that water has been pooling on the surface and when I looked under the pot, found roots climbing out of a drainage hole.
Normally I would be prudent and give a repotted tree a full year to recover but this seems to be thriving and so I decided to go ahead and give it a first wiring. First a rough sketch of a future bonsai tree:
I always had a slanting literati image in mind and after removing surplus branching and thinning out I ended up with this:
The pads need to fill out a bit and I may still remove more branches to be more consistent with a sparse literati image but think that’s enough for now. If any branches are lost over winter then I’ll still have others to work with in spring ( also the reason for leaving the bottom branches – they’ll be removed entirely or jinned at some stage. For now they can continue to fatten up the base). I’m not convinced about the apex though. I think it makes the foliage mass too thin and juvenile looking. I may remove it entirely down to the next set of branching. I did a quick virtual that I think may look better:
I’ll dwell on it for a while and update in a further post.