2015 Air Layers update

Well, mixed results for my first time air layering although I’m reasonably happy given that I tried this technique late in the season.

First up, a success of sorts.  I airlayered the top of this European Hornbeam back in the summer and discovered one prominent root, hopefully there are other new roots growing unseen in the moss.

DSC_0192 DSC_0191 DSC_0193

To protect any new root growth I cut a plastic pot and wrapped it around the trunk, filling it with free draining soil.  The pot is resting on a couple of well positioned branches so it is well supported.  I’ll wrap it in bubble wrap to protect from frost.

DSC_0194

Next up, a Trident Maple air layer that didn’t take at all:

DSC_0197 DSC_0195

DSC_0196

callous

And lastly, some promise with a Japanese Maple that I’d bought on the cheap from a garden centre earlier in the year:

DSC_0198 DSC_0199

Some one sided rootage but hopefully after some protection, more radial roots may form.  The moss remained in place and the pot filled with free draining soil.  No branches available to support the pot so I had to fashion a support using a tepee like structure.

DSC_0200

I’ll inspect them closer in the spring with a view to chopping them off.

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “2015 Air Layers update

  1. Pingback: Shohin Hornbeam Airlayer | Scratch Bonsai

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s