Successful Maple Airlayer

I airlayered this Amur maple earlier in the year and finally removed it a few weeks back.  I didn’t disturb the new roots or moss, just slipped the whole thing into a larger pot of free draining mix that will hopefully insulate the roots from the cold this winter too.  Looking forward to spring to see what I’ve got.

DSC_0544

DSC_0547

DSC_0719

DSC_0722

Amur Maple Airlayer

This tree (of sorts!) recovered from its problems last year and after letting it leaf out and harden off, I’ve decided to follow a friend’s advice from two years ago and air layer the top.

DSC_0544

DSC_0545

DSC_0547

Here’s hoping it takes.  I’ll let the bottom grow out and decide what to do with it after the layer is removed, hopefully later this year.

Amur Maple Rootwork

DSC_0117

Before work

My aged trunk of Amur maple put out a few new shoots last year but unfortunately none in the middle of the trunk.  I’m hoping for more adventitious buds this year and a rootprune was overdue.  As you can see from the moss on the lower trunk, it’s been a bit neglected otherwise.

DSC_0118

First, I cleared the soil surface of moss and other debris and reminded myself of what there was to work with.

DSC_0121

A comb out and trim of fine outer roots followed by thick rootage left me with the above image.  A wide root base but the very thick root surface root on the left has always bothered me.  Time to address it.

DSC_0119

I discovered that the end of the root was dead and so cut it back a bit.  I’ve read of splitting thick surface roots to improve nebari but this was too thick to attempt.  Instead I went for some carving with my dremel tool.

DSC_0122 (2)

I carved a wedge shape that hopefully wasn’t too unnatural looking.  Removal of more rotten wood underneath left an exposed root image, but I’m definitely happier with the appearance now.

DSC_0123 (2)

New soil and shallower training pot.