Summer Deshojo

I’m enjoying this Deshojo maple a lot more since heavy pruning and wiring in the winter.  I’d always been unsure about the twin trunks in the first photo and was getting no backbudding down the trunk to fill out the image.  It just kept growing upwards! The trunk was too thin so I decided to make a more compact image. More of a broom style now that its in leaf and I can live with this recent image a lot better.  Nice to see a positive difference in two years.  Hopefully a winter image later this year will be just as pleasing and will show better ramification too.  It’ll go into a smaller pot next year.

DSC_0028

summer 2015

DSC_0640

summer 2017

Garden Maple ground layer

nbgmnvghggghg

Thought I would have a tentative look for any new surface roots on this very large Japanese Maple.  I decided to layer it last year as the existing root base consisted of three extremely thick roots that were unsuitable for bonsai.  I was glad to see signs of new growth but far too early to dig up and investigate properly.  I’ll leave it as it is for at least another year.

dsc_0465

Top growth last year was very short compared to the long internodes usually associated with this type of material.  All of last years shoots were no more than one or two cm long, presumably because of the work done to layer the roots.

dsc_0464

I haven’t done any kind of work with this tree since I dug it up out of the garden four years ago. No further pruning, wiring, pinching etc… Just happy to let it grow out and let primary branches thicken.  At some point soon I’ll wire these into position once I know the tree is doing ok.

Shohin Deshojo

 

dsc_0422

A bit of neglect this year has meant some long internodes, unfortunately, for this little tree. These were pruned off, along with a reduction in the taller trunk to compact the image.  I think it looks like a better framework now.  Just need to build up the fine twigging over the next number of years.

 

dsc_0420

Sacrifice branch left on to speed up wound healing.  Job done. It was removed and the smaller branch beside left on to grow into the space.

dsc_0423

Before pruning.

dsc_0422-2

After pruning.

dsc_0423-2

Wiring finished.  Stubs left on allow for dieback.  These will be pruned flush in the new growing season.

I plan to repot into a container about half the size when the time is right.  Hopefully this will slow vigour down and help achieve the necessary short internodes.  I’ll also have to be careful about the quantity and quality of fertiliser in future.

Acer Palmatum Rootwork and Repot

DSC_0152DSC_0164

Time to undertake some major rootpruning on this Japanese Maple.  The main consideration was pruning away an ugly raised surface root and also reducing the depth of the rootball so that the tree would sit better in the ceramic pot it was taken out of last year.

DSC_0153

nebari from the front

DSC_0154

ugly root from the side

DSC_0155

back view of root to be removed

Other raised roots were removed two years ago because I felt there was a better nebari hiding underneath the soil level and so the job was finished today, along with shortening the long roots at the front.

DSC_0156

Over time, I’ll work to reduce the spider leg appearance of the nebari but this can be masked by moss in the short term.

DSC_0159

When combing out I discovered long circling roots within the rootmass, presumably from when the tree was rootbound in a much smaller pot in the past.  Unfortunately the previous owner must have just potted on without doing any rootwork each time.  The soil itself was of poor quality, so I decided to give it a rinse as well.  I also found some unwelcome guests:

DSC_0160

Vine weevil grubs? Looks like it. Found three or four of these and disposed of them.  I guess it’s not a good idea to apply a pesticide while the tree recovers from this surgery but if someone knows any better, the advice is appreciated.

DSC_0163

rear view

DSC_0162

front view of nebari

The tree was also placed to the other side of the pot to emphasise the trunk movement to the viewers left.  Branches on the right will be tightly pruned and those on the viewers left will be allowed to extend over time to fill the negative space.  This was in response to advice from Peter Warren during his visit to the NIBS last year.  I’m looking forward to seeing it in leaf soon.

 

Deshojo First Wiring

DSC_0028

Time to perform a first wiring of this Acer Palmatum ‘Deshojo’.  The above picture was taken in the summer when I was allowing it some free growth.  Being the middle of winter, it’s without leaf and I finally decided to make decisions about styling.IMG_20160116_150451785

Last year I repotted it into this shallow pot and tried to pinch buds to promote ramification although I’ve never been convinced by size of the tree.  I had to decide whether to keep it tall and use the thick right hand branch as a low branch, or cut it down a bit and go for an informal broom with a double trunk apex.  Some virtual editing helped me decide:

 

edit2

So before and after (from above, facing viewer):

DSC_0102

DSC_0103

DSC_0104

I’m going to ease up on the fertiliser and try to keep new shoots short.  Looking forward to getting into a smaller pot sometime in the future.