Successful Maple Airlayer

I airlayered this Amur maple earlier in the year and finally removed it a few weeks back.  I didn’t disturb the new roots or moss, just slipped the whole thing into a larger pot of free draining mix that will hopefully insulate the roots from the cold this winter too.  Looking forward to spring to see what I’ve got.

DSC_0544

DSC_0547

DSC_0719

DSC_0722

Shohin Hornbeam Airlayer

A few shots of this promising bit of material airlayered from a parent tree two years ago.  It’s been recovering from its first rootprune and repot earlier in the year.  No new shoots this year so I’m leaving it to bounce back and next year I’ll consider pruning and styling.

DSC_0636

The front showing a possible reverse twin trunk image

DSC_0637

From the back showing good trunk movement and taper

DSC_0638

Future nebari needs covered and thickened

Amur Maple Airlayer

This tree (of sorts!) recovered from its problems last year and after letting it leaf out and harden off, I’ve decided to follow a friend’s advice from two years ago and air layer the top.

DSC_0544

DSC_0545

DSC_0547

Here’s hoping it takes.  I’ll let the bottom grow out and decide what to do with it after the layer is removed, hopefully later this year.