Large Cedar Repot

An overdue repot into a mica training pot.  More attractive than the wooden box anyway.

DSC_0196DSC_0198DSC_0199DSC_0200

Advertisements

Acer Palmatum Rootwork and Repot

DSC_0152DSC_0164

Time to undertake some major rootpruning on this Japanese Maple.  The main consideration was pruning away an ugly raised surface root and also reducing the depth of the rootball so that the tree would sit better in the ceramic pot it was taken out of last year.

DSC_0153

nebari from the front

DSC_0154

ugly root from the side

DSC_0155

back view of root to be removed

Other raised roots were removed two years ago because I felt there was a better nebari hiding underneath the soil level and so the job was finished today, along with shortening the long roots at the front.

DSC_0156

Over time, I’ll work to reduce the spider leg appearance of the nebari but this can be masked by moss in the short term.

DSC_0159

When combing out I discovered long circling roots within the rootmass, presumably from when the tree was rootbound in a much smaller pot in the past.  Unfortunately the previous owner must have just potted on without doing any rootwork each time.  The soil itself was of poor quality, so I decided to give it a rinse as well.  I also found some unwelcome guests:

DSC_0160

Vine weevil grubs? Looks like it. Found three or four of these and disposed of them.  I guess it’s not a good idea to apply a pesticide while the tree recovers from this surgery but if someone knows any better, the advice is appreciated.

DSC_0163

rear view

DSC_0162

front view of nebari

The tree was also placed to the other side of the pot to emphasise the trunk movement to the viewers left.  Branches on the right will be tightly pruned and those on the viewers left will be allowed to extend over time to fill the negative space.  This was in response to advice from Peter Warren during his visit to the NIBS last year.  I’m looking forward to seeing it in leaf soon.

 

Amur Maple Rootwork

DSC_0117

Before work

My aged trunk of Amur maple put out a few new shoots last year but unfortunately none in the middle of the trunk.  I’m hoping for more adventitious buds this year and a rootprune was overdue.  As you can see from the moss on the lower trunk, it’s been a bit neglected otherwise.

DSC_0118

First, I cleared the soil surface of moss and other debris and reminded myself of what there was to work with.

DSC_0121

A comb out and trim of fine outer roots followed by thick rootage left me with the above image.  A wide root base but the very thick root surface root on the left has always bothered me.  Time to address it.

DSC_0119

I discovered that the end of the root was dead and so cut it back a bit.  I’ve read of splitting thick surface roots to improve nebari but this was too thick to attempt.  Instead I went for some carving with my dremel tool.

DSC_0122 (2)

I carved a wedge shape that hopefully wasn’t too unnatural looking.  Removal of more rotten wood underneath left an exposed root image, but I’m definitely happier with the appearance now.

DSC_0123 (2)

New soil and shallower training pot.