European Hornbeam Repot

Performed this around a month ago and it’s respondng well so far.

DSC_0461

DSC_0463

Packed tight with mychorrizae

DSC_0464

DSC_0462

Nebari rising up

DSC_0465

Straight raised root needed removed.

DSC_0467

New planting position and soil

DSC_0466

Into a deep training pot for the next stage – building ramification.

Advertisements

Formal Upright Hornbeam Repot

DSC_0176

It’s been two years since I lifted this hornbeam that had a new nebari grown after applying a tourniquet.  I decided to remove a panel 0ff the box to check on the rootmass.

DSC_0177

It hasn’t been draining too well recently so I decided to put it into a spare Ian Bailie pot that I thought suited it really well.  The air layer from last year was chopped off and potted first. Then the nebari checked for the best front, taking into account the trunk and existing branch placement.

DSC_0178

DSC_0179

The above front had the best nebari but the sacrifice branch is facing the viewer and the trunk kinks halfway.  I decided to rotate it but I’ll wait and see how the threadgraft performs this year.  I suppose it’s not a huge decision now as I can easily turn the round pot!

DSC_0181

Future actions: Feed well to encourage the threadgraft and keep upper branching short.

 

European Hornbeam Modifications

I recently finally got around to airlayering the top of this tree in training.  The trunk is much too tall and the apex curves, ruining the formal upright image of the rest of the tree.  The tree should look less lanky in future with the top removed.  Still tall but hopefully elegant as opposed to unsightly.  I also finally performed a threadgraft on the lower trunk to hopefully fill in a large gap on one side.  The lowest branch used to perform the graft was kept with foliage to promote quick growth.  The defoliation of the rest of the tree will hopefully help this too.

DSC_0374

Before. July 2015. Note the bare section of trunk on the lower right.

DSC_0378

The threadgraft on the lower right. In front of my fingers you can see a back branch that naturally curves round to that side. Its being grown on anyway in case the graft fails.

After a few years of clip and grow I’m happy with how the ramification and branch taper is starting to develop.

DSC_0377

DSC_0376

DSC_0375

 Since this last photo, I’ve decided to decided to defoliate the entire bottom branch as well. The airlayer should make a nice wee shohin tree but if it takes will have to be kept in the greenhouse as it’s late in the season to perform this kind of work.