Black Pine Root Inspection

dsc_0424

I’m in the process of moving bonsai material from my front garden to the back garden where I have more space.  I can then plant some shrubs in the front to fill out naturally and these will look more attractive than small half formed trees with leggy escape branches.This item has been growing in the ground the past few years and I thought it was time to look at the roots and have a direction in mind for the tree anyway.

dsc_0425

I’m very happy with the root base which flares out well.  Not much root pruning was done as the tree was planted on a tile in the ground.  Just one or two thick roots trimmed.

dsc_0426

I’ll start the high nitro feed next month and let the tree establish in the new location before wiring the trunk again.  The sacrifice branch will hopefully continue to do its job and I’ll keep the rest of the shoots short after the first flush of growth in May.

dsc_0427

Club night Jan 15

Some nice trees/material being worked on by members  at the latest NIBS meeting on Friday night.

DSC_0574

European Beech Forest

DSC_0589

Elm (I think!)

DSC_0592

Red leaved Japanese Maple

I practised a bit of wiring and styling of a young Japanese Black Pine that I’m training into a literati image.

DSC_0588

Before

 

 

DSC_0591

After

I pruned it in favour of the thinner trunk to get rid of the upper fork and promote better taper.  It’s hard to see the movement in the tree in the photo but it is there.  Over the next few years I’ll keep upper growth very short and build up two or three branch pads.  I’m going to allow the lower/bottom buds free growth and then prune or jin them eventually.

 

Young Japanese Black Pine tidy up

DSC_0005Another pine, this time JBP that I’ve had since bought as a seedling online four or five years ago. Again, I’d like this to be literati which is why it has been growing in the box and remains slender.  I’d like to beef up the bottom some more so I decided to pluck out extra buds from the top and remove a lot of needles from the upper trunk.  There is a decent sized bud at the bottom which I’d like to encourage next year.  Some slight inverse taper is beginning to appear at the point where you can see a set of ‘handlebar’ branches in the lower half.  I decided to remove one of them.  At some point over the winter I’ll wire the trunk to make it more interesting.  A long way to go with this one before the bark matures and fissures – I may try and speed things up next year by wrapping it moss.

DSC_0009