Wild Cherry Raw Material

This is a wild cherry that was originally given to me 5 or 6 years ago as part of a batch of unwanted saplings.  Most of them have either died or held no promise at all.  This one I’ve kept going and persevered with, just for something that could turn out to be a bit different.

DSC_0169

September 2015,

Originally it looked something like this, only a few years old:

c march 2011

2011

In March 2011, I planted it in the ground temporarily to get it to thicken up.  While brushing away the top layer of soil I discovered some strong one sided surface roots and I felt that these could influence future styling.

field march 2011

March 2011. Note the exposed nebari.

It had to be dug and potted when I moved house the next year but instead of putting it back into the ground, I toyed with the idea of a literati type tree.  Most of the foliage was further up the trunk and efforts to back bud had never amounted to much.  So I repotted it at a slanting angle to make the most of those gripping surface roots.

20140407_192445

March 2012

It took a while to recover and then last year I wired it in an effort to get more movement on the pretty straight trunk.  No picture of that I’m afraid.  There was only so much I could do due to the trunk thickness and being brittle.

DSC_0169

It is slanting more but this isn’t the best angle.  I think it needs to lean towards the viewer more but it’ll be a compromise between trunk line and root angle.  The next photo shows more movement:

DSC_0168

For now I quite like the autumn colour and am hoping for a first flowering next winter/spring.  I’ll also repot it into a shallower ceramic pot.

 

 

Literati False Cypress

I posted about this tree last year when I was given it by my father.  Finally time to see what the roots were like and repot it out of this bucket into something shallower.

DSC_0754

Before

DSC_0770

After

A flared nebari was uncovered and I was able to remove a substantial amount of root as it was surprisingly all fine and there was no heavy roots to prune at all.  It was hosed out and filled with an improved drainage mixture and some mycorrizhae fungi that I bought at a garden centre.  I reduced quite a bit of the lower foliage as it will probably be jinned at some point.  I haven’t removed any of the upper foliage yet but will do in the next few days once I have time to have a better look and decide on future styling.  I’m excited about the future of this tree and with it’s great nebari and old flaky bark I  imagine it to hopefully produce a literati Scots Pine like image.  I’ll see how it responds before deciding on when to wire.

 

Young Japanese Black Pine tidy up

DSC_0005Another pine, this time JBP that I’ve had since bought as a seedling online four or five years ago. Again, I’d like this to be literati which is why it has been growing in the box and remains slender.  I’d like to beef up the bottom some more so I decided to pluck out extra buds from the top and remove a lot of needles from the upper trunk.  There is a decent sized bud at the bottom which I’d like to encourage next year.  Some slight inverse taper is beginning to appear at the point where you can see a set of ‘handlebar’ branches in the lower half.  I decided to remove one of them.  At some point over the winter I’ll wire the trunk to make it more interesting.  A long way to go with this one before the bark matures and fissures – I may try and speed things up next year by wrapping it moss.

DSC_0009