My aged trunk of Amur maple put out a few new shoots last year but unfortunately none in the middle of the trunk. I’m hoping for more adventitious buds this year and a rootprune was overdue. As you can see from the moss on the lower trunk, it’s been a bit neglected otherwise.
First, I cleared the soil surface of moss and other debris and reminded myself of what there was to work with.
A comb out and trim of fine outer roots followed by thick rootage left me with the above image. A wide root base but the very thick root surface root on the left has always bothered me. Time to address it.
I discovered that the end of the root was dead and so cut it back a bit. I’ve read of splitting thick surface roots to improve nebari but this was too thick to attempt. Instead I went for some carving with my dremel tool.
I carved a wedge shape that hopefully wasn’t too unnatural looking. Removal of more rotten wood underneath left an exposed root image, but I’m definitely happier with the appearance now.